Sunday, March 30, 2008

Andrew Goes On A Mission

I never apologize for taking a long time between blogs. Sometimes, there just isn't a lot going on and so rather than bore people with the mundane day-to-day details. I mean who wants to hear that today I woke up, went to work, came home ate dinner played on the internet & then went to bed? Especially when that can describe many days recently.

It's not that I'm complaining. It's great to have a job that pays well to go to. It's great to have a wife that wants to make dinner. And isn't the internet amazing? But I'm sure that reading that would get tedious after awhile. But I wanted to mention one great thing that has happened recently.

My youngest brother Andrew is in the MTC. He's on his way to Samoa. It's a great opportunity for him to serve the people of Samoa and grow himself. I had the opportunity to do the same in Denver from 1999-2001 & enjoyed every minute of it. He joins Nathan (Tulsa, OK) & Adam (Baltimore, MD) who are also currently serving missions for our church at the same time.

I was grateful to be able to join him in Houston when he went through the temple. It was good to be home (isn't it always?) and the weather was great. I enjoyed spending a couple of days with him and being able to joke around. I have been greatly blessed to have spent time with my two youngest brothers when they were at BYU. Leaving when they were 11 & 10, they were always a part of me, but I have drawn closer to them as young adults (or whatever you call 19+ year olds). Everything was great, minus my grandpa falling and breaking his hip at 5:30 in morning, but that's another story entirely. While we were there we even ran into a local celebrity (well to two die-hard BYU fans he's a celebrity), Gifford Nielson!!! .

He even gave Andrew a pep talk telling him to not waste a moment and to go for it. I felt that all that was missing was a pat on the butt as Andrew ran out onto the field. It was a great.

When we returned from Houston, Andrew and my parents stopped by on their way to Provo. It was fun to show off our apartment and to get to spend a couple more days with Andrew. We went to the Mercer children's play, we played Guitar Hero & then he was off. It's always hard to send off my brothers (my mom's weeping gene seems to manifest itself at that point, kind of like in the X-Men where the children can't control their powers, except this isn't really a power). But it's great to see them become young adults instead of the teenagers they were.

We wish him the best, and you can do so to if you would like: asalt2@myldsmail.net

1 comment:

MB said...

I agree. Sending brothers out is a hard thing to do but, really cool too. While my brother was on his mission, I was always a bit nicer to missionaries. It made me think, maybe someone is being nice to my brother out there...(sigh...memories) But, now I'm not nice. :)