Sunday, October 12, 2008

Summer of A Thousand Vacations: Act III - Matt's High School Reunion

The week after our camping trip, was my 10 year high school reunion. So after a strenuous 3 day work week, we flew down to Houston for the weekend.

I will admit that I always enjoy going home. Even if my parents decide to retire somewhere else, Houston will always be home. The thick air, an Ultimate Cheeseburger & Milkshake at Jack In The Box, Blue Bell, and just being in the places that are so familiar. It happens when you spend 16+ years living there.

So we headed to the Salt Homestead, and enjoyed the afternoon with my parents. The it was off to a seminary reunion. It was good to see some of my friends that went through four years of early morning seminary together. We enjoyed cupcakes and updates from everyone in attendance and what they knew about other friends that couldn't be there. Thanks to Charlotte & Shannon for helping to arrange things. I hope that we can do this again at the next high school reunion, as it was the better of the two events for sure.

The next day was the high school reunion. It was at a posh hotel in the Galleria (the upscale shopping district in Houston). After wandering around the mall trying to find it, let's just say that I was underwhelmed at the attendance. For a class of 400+ kids, there were maybe 40 or so people in attendance. And the people there were predominantly the kids that were popular in high school. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed being there and seeing a few friends from HS, but there were only 4 or 5 people that I really hung out with in High School. I actually had a better time when we left the reunion and headed to a nearby bar with those 4-5. Good to know AFTER shelling out $130. My advice, make sure that the people that you want to see are going to go before you spend the money to go.

The next day we spent time with my parents, and headed back to Denver. It was a nice weekend, but I have conflicted feelings about doing it again.

3 comments:

bendanielsfamily said...

I can't believe only 40 people were there!!! I would have thought over 100 for sure. Wow I guess our 10 year reunion will be coming up next year- doesn't sound like a big event to plan for though :) Wish we could have come and crashed y'alls after party- would have been fun to see everyone....are y'all going for Christmas????

Malinda Jane Sieg said...

Hey guys! What a treat to have found your blog! I hope everything is going well out in Colorado! We miss you guys! Oh, this is Malinda Sieg by the way...

HandS said...

I visited Houston in September... went thruogh the San Antonio Temple because the Houston was closed... it was the week after the Hurricane came by and left its trail....of no electricity! Shannon's Nephew had his Mission call... they had ,I hink a month's notice....It was beautiful... My friend Jessica told me I could not leave Texas without having a "whataburger" tho when I heard it it sounded waterburger..Shaun understood me when I said waterburger...I must have sounded american or something..lol. I only saw the difference when we drove up to it and I saw the sign.....it was good.. tho, Shannon wasn't impressed...I did detect a certain flavour that could be claimed by whataburger...we also went to the Saltgrass steak house.. now, that was awesome!!!