Monday, January 21, 2008

Debbie's A Genius & Matt's First Week


Well I am hoping to update the blog on a semi-frequent basis, and I thought that now would be a good time to do so.

I start with the most exciting bit of news from the Salt household. Debbie is now a registered RN. She passed her national boards on Thursday. She spent most of Thursday & Friday checking for her results. It took incredible will power for her to only check every hour, on the hour. She was even kind enough to wake me early on Saturday morning to let me know that her results were in.

While I joke about her incessant checking, I can say that I grateful I am for all of her hard work and for doing so well and passing on the first attempt. It was difficult for her to focus with the movers and getting settled into a new place, and all that entails. But she got the job done and in fact started orientation today at her new job (Medical Center of Aurora - South Campus, NICU/Nursery). I am enormously proud of her efforts & accomplishments (and the end of all ties to Provo College, but that is for another blog).

As for me, I started my new job last Monday, and I must say that it felt like the first day of school all over again. You know how on the first day at a new school you get your picture taken, you're not quit sure what to expect and who your going to see and how you'll fit in ? Well that was what I was feeling as I walked across the street to my new office. (Did I mention that our apartment is across the street from my office? Well if not, let me tell you that it's amazing! Going home for lunch, leaving work and being home in less than 5 minutes. I'm not sure how I'm going to give it up.)

Anyway, I got there and went through the orientation stuff, and then it was off to actually do work. I guess you could say that I was a bit nervous. I didn't really know what they wanted me to do or how I was supposed to add value to anything at that point, but I'm starting to get over it. So far it's a great place to work. I share a good sized office with a computer engineer named Karl. He seems to have a similar personality, and we crack jokes and make sarcastic comments back and forth. I work on a team of 4 or 5 individuals (still trying to make out some of the office dynamics) in the Finance department. I think that they're a good bunch and that we should be able to work well together and get a lot done. Basically at this point, I don't hate going to work everyday, so that's a good thing.

And now as I have started week two, Karl has made sure to point out that I am no longer the new guy (they hired a new woman to work as an admin assistant in the office and she started today), and will be expected to carry my weight. Thanks a lot Karl.

4 comments:

Amanda and Miles said...

Congrats on making it through the first week! Good Job on your boards Debbie!!

Dani said...

WAY TO GO DEBBIE!! I always knew you were my smartest roommate.

Jana said...

Yay for Debbie! Congrats on the boards! And Matt, I'm glad you've found someone with a sarcastic sense of humor to go back and forth with--that is definitely needed in your case!

MB said...

Sounds like you guys are doing well! Debbie, that's awesome! I hate tests and always freeze on them so, that's really cool you did it so quickly (and through all the changes that were happening...)
Matt, happy (late) Stress Free Thurs. Don't worry, everyone is new at one time or another!