Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Better Offer...


Since we moved to Colorado, Debbie has wanted to work at The Children's Hospital in Denver. However, they only hired nurses that have Bachelor's degrees in Nursing. Debbie's Bachelor's degree is in Human Development, and her nursing degree is an Associate's degree. So even though she had applied several times, she was never able to get past the initial screening of her application. But that didn't stop me from encouraging her from applying when she told me about jobs that came open that I thought she was qualified for.

A couple of weeks ago she had a frustrating day at work, and when she came home she looked at the available jobs on their website. She found one in the operating room where she works now. So on top of the degrees that she has earned, she also was able to add a couple of years of experience to her resume as well. While one side of her was excited by the possibility of a new job at her dream hospital, she also realized that starting a new job while also starting a new RN to BSN would be very difficult. I think that she was not going to apply, but when she talked to me, I told her that she should apply anyway, and see what happened.

Well everything went great! On Thursday, they made her an offer, and she accepted. It was very hard for her to let her previous employer know, because she had really enjoyed her time there, and would probably not have left for any other hospital except The Children's Hospital. But that's how life works sometimes. When you're not really looking for it, a better opportunity finds you.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah! That is really exciting! Congratulations!

amyorr said...

Way to go Debbie!! You rock.

The Royal Buffington's said...

Great job Debbie! You're the best :)

Stoddard Family said...

Congrats! That is awsome! We really like the Children's hospital here. Have been a cople of times visiting a girl in our ward and will be taking Jackson there soon.

Jana said...

Congrats, Debbie! Yay! I miss you, girl.

Angela said...

Debbie- That is fantastic. I am excited for you. Good for Matt for encouraging you. I am sure you will love it. What a great opportunity.

Katie Sterling said...

HURRAY! And Hurray you have a blog! I totally stalked you to find it! = )

HandS said...

Congratulations!!! I lost the link I had to your blog.... so, please excuse me for butting in here... Miss you... I really do... and you go!..I did my Theatre training at the Childrens Hospital in Brighton,UK....it was so fun!!... so fun that I never thought of Adult Theatre as an option!! and yes, I did think of applying for a theatre course...long long ago..back in UK... Have fun.... Hugs to you all... Sally